- 25th January 2018
What is the value of the UK Maritime industry?
Maritime UK commissioned a study to estimate the value of the UK Maritime industry. This was conducted by the Centre for Economics and Business Research (Cebr).
Did you know that:
- There were 23,060 UK seafarers active at sea in 2016.
- 185,700 UK employee jobs were estimated to be directly supported by the Maritime sector in 2015. This is an increase of 6,900 jobs since 2010.
- In 2016 the total UK port freight tonnage was 484 million tonnes, with imports to the UK almost double the amount of exports.
- The second largest port industry in Europe is the UK’s which was overtaken in 2010 by the Netherlands.
- The UK Maritime sector contributes nearly £40 billion to the UK economy each year.
The findings from the study were formally published on the 13th September 2017 and demonstrated that the substantial direct economic contribution of the Maritime sector exceeds other comparable industries. Not only does the industry contribute significantly to the UK economy, it also supports an estimated 957,300 jobs within the UK workforce through aggregate economic impacts.
Looking at what lies ahead for the UK Maritime industry, International Trade Secretary Dr Liam Fox said:
The UK’s Maritime industry brings billions of pounds a year into our economy and will be vital to our continued prosperity when we leave the European Union. As an international economic department, our ambition is that we lead the way in world-class shipbuilding and Maritime technology.
Navis Consulting has been providing Maritime recruitment services since 2010. Due to our continuous growth, we are planning to expand and open an office in the United States with part of our team based in New York.
We provide three main types of recruitment services;
Permanent Recruitment: due to our international experience in the Maritime market, we provide a bespoke recruitment solution to your permanent recruitment search.
Executive Search: we provide a confidential executive search that is tailored to your requirements and we use our knowledge and expertise to give advice and support.
Exclusive Supply: we provide exclusivity to our clients, which allows us to identify and thoroughly screen all suitable candidates before presenting a shortlist of the very best matches.
We offer exceptional levels of service to both our clients and candidates, ensuring we do our part to support the growth of the Maritime industry. Not only do we provide these services to our clients, we provide a professional service to candidates that ensures you have access to the best opportunities in the global Maritime market.
We specialise in the following sectors:
- Commercial Shipping
- Marine Insurance / P&I / Legal
- Technical Shipping / Ship Management
- HR & Crewing
- Marine Engineering & Design
If you are currently recruiting and would like to benefit from our services, you can register a job vacancy here:
Alternatively, if you are looking for a new job role, you can conduct a job search on our website here: